Wednesday 28 March 2012

ROTW, Week 11: Asparagus Bacon and Goats CheeseQuiche





this morning, I got up earlier than usual because Brandon needed me to walk the dog while he did something for work.

I went to clip my nails and my nail clipper broke, literally snapped in half, when I tried to use it.

someone left a pan filled with water in our wet sink overnight, and a rust ring formed on a sink I now have to live with for two #@$T% years.  guess who is going to be using his elbow grease to scour it off before I kill him? (this is not a first offense)

some pushy horrible commuter shoved her way in front of me at the train and stole the seat.  then she screamed at someone for not moving out of the way fast enough when we both exited at the same station, and I felt more justified in wishing I could trip her surreptitiously.

my coffee is AWFUL.  I'm sorry super nice barista at Sbucks who usually does a superb job and always has a friendly snippet for me, but this is not drinkable.

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh is it Friday at 6 yet??

Oh yeah.  And recipe of the week for last week, which AGAIN I did not post.

Here it is.

yay for the iPhone, but I want my real camera back please...time to look through all the remaining boxes.


Asparagus, Bacon, and Goat Cheese Quiche
based on this recipe from Joy the Baker (most of the text is hers with no editing.  My additions will appear in italics.)

For the Crust:

1 1/2 cups Cup4Cup all-purpose gluten-free flour (or, since the beauty of expensive Cup4Cup flour is its easy  1 for 1  substitution, you can just use all-purpose.)
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1 large egg yolk
1/4 cup buttermilk



For the Filling:


1 1/2 cups diced asparagus
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
salt and pepper to taste
6 large eggs
1 cup milk (I used 2 percent)
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
pinch of salt and coarse ground pepper
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese or Gruyere cheese
1 large shallot, chopped
3" of bacon, chopped.**
4oz of goats cheese.

**the way I use bacon for cooking, in every single one of my recipes, is as follows:  I freeze the bacon after I buy it, in its little package.  I remove the bacon from the freezer as needed, hack 2 or 3 inches off the block across all the slices of bacon, and then I put the remaining block back into the freezer for next time.  Then I simply slice the bacon block into strips across the slices, and get little bacon pieces that defrost quickly, perfect for cooking.  This may seem self-explanatory, but the first time I did this around Brandon it blew his mind (and caused him to realize why we never eat full slices of bacon in my house.**
To Make the Crust:


In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, and salt.  Add cold, cubed butter and, using your fingers, work the butter into the flour mixture.  Quickly break the butter down into the flour mixture, some butter pieces will be the size of oat flakes, some will be the size of peas. In a small bowl, stir together the egg yolk and buttermilk.   Create a well in the butter and flour mixture and pour in the liquid mixture.  Use a fork to bring to dough together.  Try to moisten all of the flour bits.  On a lightly floured work surface, dump out the dough mixture.  It will be moist and shaggy.  Sprinkle generously with flour.  That’s perfect.  Shape dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap.  Allow dough to rest in the fridge while you assemble the filling.  Dough is easiest to roll out when it’s cold and rested.


When you’re ready to roll out the crust, on a well-floured work surface, gently roll out the pie crust into about an 11-inch circle.  Press together any spots that might tear.  Carefully lift down and place into the 9-inch pie plate.  Use a pairing knife to trim the edges of pie dough, leaving about 1/2 inch extra dough overhang.  Fold the excess dough under and crimp with fingers.

To Make the Filling:
Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, melt butter or render the fat down from your bacon.  Drain excess fat, and add shallots, cooking until translucent.  Add the asparagus and the white parts of your green onions and saute until bright green and slightly tender, about 4 minutes  probably less than 4 minutes.  Season with a bit of salt and pepper, remove from heat, and set aside.  In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, heavy cream, and a bit of salt and pepper.  Whisk until well blended.


Add the cooked vegetables to the unbaked pie crust.  Sprinkle half of the grated cheese over the vegetables and add lumps of your goats cheese.  Pour egg mixture over vegetables and top with more cheese.  Carefully place quiche in oven and bake for 45-55 minutes, or until quiche puffs up and does not have a loose giggle when shaken lightly.  Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least an hour.  Serve warm or cool.  Quiche will last, well wrapped in the refrigerator, for up to three days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment