Tuesday 8 November 2011

Onwards and Upwards, or at least Sideways.

Reagan Airport, on our way home from my dear friend's wedding last month.
I've been neglecting the blog again.  And its not for lack of things to say: I often find myself composing a post in my head on my way to work, or on my way home from work, and they just never make it into a computer.  But I have been busy doing other things.

I am still getting over the shock of the wedding.  It feels weird to say it in that way, but sometimes that's what it feels like to me.  You don't enter into something this huge, this permanent, this connected to your daily happiness, without some sense of awe and nervousness, I think, unless you're either seriously confident (in which case, go you!) or not taking it seriously enough.  But I am starting to settle into a routine, getting used to calling him my husband, getting used to the idea that I have taken the next step towards the future we have together.

I've also been really busy doing what I do best: making life complicated for myself.  I can never just take things at face value, accept them as they are.  Something has to be tweaked, "oh I could design something I like more than that" and then I'm left with 50 extra hours of work and a completely bewildered husband.  I cam home yesterday from my 13 hours of work, and immediately sat down at the computer to work on the christmas gift for my parents.  And he looks at me and goes, "Are you crazy?!?  Can't you relax a little?"  And the answer, mostly, is no.  Because what I like to do, what I really like to do, is make things, and design things, and design things better and remake them.  And that keeps me happy, and keeps me grounded after a 13 hr work day, part of what is going to be 19 straight days in the office working overtime every one of them.  Even the part where I took a break last Saturday and had some margs with the book club.

But this post isn't so much about all that because you all know me a little by now (hi 2 friends who read my blog! :) )  This post is about the good stuff that's coming, because of course its coming.  I've been sitting around not writing for 2 months, but that doesn't mean I haven't actually been doing anything.


  • Letterpress Christmas cards are in the works.  I am encountering technical difficulties that I will beat into submission in my usual fashion.  When I stop working so much overtime I might even have time to accomplish this
  • I might share some more photos from my wedding.  Because, you know, it was kindof a big deal to me.  And the shoes were only a small portion of that.
  • Tutorials!  I'll probably blather on about some wedding related paper goods, but I am also going to share with you my poorly-sewn-but-still-cool clutch bags, which I made for the bridesmaids but that you could easily make as Christmas gifts.
  • Food.  As per usual, the holiday season is going to be full of food for me, and this time, I'm not on bridal bootcamp diet.  I will be sharing recipes for mulled wine, some family tradition Christmas cooked, and I'll keep you posted on how the turkey-brining goes at Thanksgiving.
I'm sure there's more stuff too, and probably some whining, but I can't predict what that will be about.  So!  Hope everyone is doing well, and hopefully I'll see ya next week sometime.  Because right now, I need to go detail the crap out of a multi-million dollar renovation project.

No comments:

Post a Comment