Thursday 5 April 2012

ROTW, Week 13: Pregnancy (OK Fine, Cobb) Salad

I've got some big news for you guys.





I had a salad the other day that I actually enjoyed, AND it was lettuce based.  No I'm not pregnant, don't be ridiculous (but I thought I'd throw that out there in case anyone had suspicions after reading this ingredients list.)

Makes two salads:
Arugula or other lettuce as salad base
2 chicken breasts, grilled and cut into slices
2-3 inches bacon cut from frozen bacon package
2 cups brussel sprouts, sliced in half lengthwise
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
1 avocado, cut into cubes
1 juice of one lemon
olive oil

Cook the bacon in a saute pan, rendering the fat and getting the bacon nice and crunchy.  Remove the bacon from the pan, and cook your brussel sprouts, cut-face down, in the remaining bacon fat for about 15 minutes with the lid on, or until beautifully browned and steamed through.

Assemble your salad with as many of the above ingredients as you would like.  My only regret is not serving this with toast.



Happy birthday Mom!!  29 years young again today :)


**Completely forgot about the asparagus.  Always top a salad with grilled asparagus, is pretty much my rule of thumb. Grill it up with the chicken, and slice it into bitesize pieces on the bias (diagonally) for some extra fancy appearance.**


*** I have gotten a lot of familial nagging, saying that this salad is a classic California Cobb salad and I am a little crazy for thinking it is at all unusual.  In rebuttal: BRUSSEL SPROUTS.  Also, I voluntarily ate something made primarily of leaves.  I thought it was unusual.  Oh well - you don't like the name, call it something else.  Just make it, because its delicious.***

No comments:

Post a Comment