Friday 20 May 2011

Some things I learned from letterpress

In light of my post on APW a week or so ago, I wanted to re-examine how I felt about the process.  Here are some things I have come up with:










I am a teensy bit of an overachiver.  Or as polite people would say, "intense."Also, I have a strong tendency to get cocky once I think I know how to do something.

I really care about paper.  More than I even knew before.

Many things that appear simple are harder than they look.  One of the most difficult parts of the whole process for me was rolling out the ink.

People who you would think would have no interest in letterpress ( and arguably still don't ) (teenage guy cousin) will be fascinated by any process involving handmade machinery.

My father may be way more stubborn than I am.

Bending over a table for 8 hours hurts more now than it did while I was in school.

Most people who receive my invitations will not have an inkling of what I went through to produce them.

You can solve almost any problem by doing enough research on the internet.

A good backup plan is worth its weight in gold, but not having to use it is even better.

I use fancy words without really meaning to.  My sister will continue to mock me for this.

Explaining a process you learned largely through trial and error is tricky.  Doing it in fewer than 10,000 words is extra tricky.

I am my own worst critic.  As it should be.


We will see how this goes, but I am excited to see what happens on the other side of wedding bells.

No comments:

Post a Comment