Friday 19 November 2010

Fannie Mae Help the Homeless Walkathon

This Saturday morning I will be walking with a team from my office in the 2010 Help the Homeless Walkathon.  Our team is donating all our fund-raising to Martha's Table, an organization dedicated to providing community services to families for both short term assistance and long term activities aimed at prevention.

After living in overseas a few times, it has surprised me how different the homeless appear to me in DC versus in London or Rome, or anywhere else in Europe I visited for a shorter amount of time.  In Europe, I felt like a larger portion of the people there who were begging for money were swindlers. [That is a generalization, and I do not mean that I think there are no homeless in Europe.  It means that I cam across more than my fair share of charlatans.]  But in DC, I think about the people I have seen living on the street...  there is a desperation there unlike anywhere else I have been.  And I just can't stop thinking to myself, that the days are getting colder and colder.


So I will be out on Saturday, trying to do what I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment